How your information will be used
- As your employer, Chartwell Care Services needs to keep and process information about you for normal employment purposes. The information we hold, and process will be used for our management and administrative use only. We will keep and use it to enable us to run the business and manage our relationship with you effectively, lawfully and appropriately, during the recruitment process, whilst you are working for us, at the time when your employment ends and after you have left. This includes using information to enable us to comply with the employment contract, to comply with any legal requirements, pursue the legitimate interests of the Company and protect our legal position in the event of legal proceedings. If you do not provide this data, we may be unable in some circumstances to comply with our obligations and we will tell you about the implications of that decision.
- As a company subject to complex regulations, we may sometimes need to process your data to pursue our legitimate business interests, for example to prevent fraud, administrative purposes or reporting potential crimes. We will never process your data where these interests are overridden by your own interests.
- Much of the information we hold will have been provided by you, but some may come from other internal sources, such as your manager, or in some cases, external sources, such as referees.
- The sort of information we hold includes your application form and references, your contract of employment and any amendments to it; correspondence with or about you, for example letters to you about a pay rise or, at your request, a letter to your mortgage company confirming your salary; information needed for payroll, benefits and expenses purposes; contact and emergency contact details; records of holiday, sickness and other absence; information needed for equal opportunities monitoring policy; and records relating to your career history, such as training records, appraisals, other performance measures and, where appropriate, disciplinary and grievance records.
- You will, of course, inevitably be referred to in many company documents and records that are produced by you and your colleagues in the course of carrying out your duties and the business of the company. You should refer to the Data Protection Policy which is available on the intranet or in paper format from Chartwell Care Services at The Resource Centre, Gedding Road, Leicester LE5 5DU.
- Where necessary, we may keep information relating to your health, which could include reasons for absence, GP reports and notes and Occupational Health assessments. This information will be used in order to comply with our health and safety and occupational health obligations – to consider how your health affects your ability to do your job and whether any adjustments to your job might be appropriate. We will also need this data to administer and manage statutory and company sick pay.
- Where we process special categories of information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious and philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, biometric data or sexual orientation, we do so under GDPR Article 6,1(b) which states: –
‘processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract’
If we process your data for other purposes, we will always obtain your explicit consent to those activities unless this is not required by law or the information is required to protect your health in an emergency. Where we are processing data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
- In addition, we monitor computer and telephone/mobile telephone use, as detailed in our Computer/telephone/electronic communications/expenses policy, available in the company handbook/on the intranet.
- Other than as mentioned below, we will only disclose information about you to third parties if we are legally obliged to do so or where we need to comply with our contractual or regulatory duties to you, for instance we may need to pass on certain information to HMRC, pension or health insurance schemes.
- We may transfer information about you to other group companies for purposes connected with your employment or the management of the company’s business.
- We do not transfer your information outside of the EEA or to an international organisation to comply with legal or contractual requirements. We have in place safeguards including to ensure the security of your data. A copy of the safeguards can be obtained from The HR department
- We do not use automated decision making (including profiling)
- Your personal data will be stored for a period of up to 10 years following when you leave the organisation, details of the criteria used for determining how long your data will be stored for is included in the organisations documentation retention schedule
- If in the future if we intend to process your personal data for a purpose other than that which it was collected, we will provide you with information on that purpose and any other relevant information
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
- If you have provided consent for the processing of your data, you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioners’ Office if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR or DPA 18 with regard to your personal data. Identity and contact details of controller and data protection officer
- Chartwell Care Services is the controller and processor of data for the purposes of the DPA 18 and GDPR.
- If you have any concerns as to how your data is processed, you can contact:
The Data Protection Officer at DPO@chartwelltrust.org or you can write to:
Chartwell Care Services,
The Resource Centre